Saturday, April 6, 2024

Beaver Brook Cascades: 4/5/24

After our second major spring snowstorm, I headed up to Kinsman Notch late in the afternoon for a couple hours of snowshoeing on Mount  Moosilauke's Beaver Brook Trail. I will admit that I was not thrilled about this storm, but the snowshoeing was surprisingly good. I was prepared to break trail, but when I arrived at the trailhead I found a beautiful snowshoe track, apparently  laid down earlier in the day.  Thanks go to those snowshoers!


The Dartmouth Outing Club has repaired the damaged railing at this sketchy sidehill crossing of a washout. Yay!



The first of several cascades that grace the steep climb alongside Beaver Brook. Looks more like December than April.



Down-look at the first cascade.



The wet snow did not clump on my snowshoes and provided excellent grip, both ascending and descending.



Spring has not yet arrived along northeast-facing Beaver Brook.



Up to the next cascade, viewed slightly off-trail.



Side view of the cascade by the trickiest spot along the trail. Though one snowshoer went straight up an almost vertical pitch (where there is an iron handrail for assistance in summer), the main track, which I followed, made a switchbacking bypass to the left.



More cascades above.



Almost like midwinter snowshoeing.



Twin cascades, mostly buried.




I think this is the finest of the many cascades along the trail. I bushwhacked down through deep snow for this view.


 

Closer look. This was my turnaround point at ~2600 ft.



Wintry brook scene.



After negotiating the steep descent along the cascades, I left the trail and wandered down through open hardwoods, plowing through the new snow atop a firm base. It was some of the best off-trail snowshoeing of the season.



It was snowing pretty hard as I meandered down through these beautiful woods.



This sweet 'shoeing was an unexpected bonus from the April storm.




Before heading home I paid a visit to the expansive open wetland area at the south end of Beaver Pond. Here, also, the snow conditions were superb. This view looks across to the Dilly Cliffs spur of Kinsman Ridge.



Peering up at the steep craggy knob that looms above the west side of Beaver Pond. The fog-shrouded Beaver Brook ravine is seen on the left. A great area for a quick snowshoe adventure.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment