Saturday, April 14, 2018

SPRING FOR A DAY: 4/13/18


With several days of dismal weather in the forecast, today was the day to get out for a few hours and return to an area where I knew the bushwhacking would be snow-free, on the south spur of Bald Knob.

This is what I look for this time of year. It's a little too early for the full ASAP (April Snow Avoidance Program). Though the approach trails were covered in ice and old snow, I did not step on one patch of snow along the bushwhack route.

A beech, swaying to the music of spring.



A random giant white pine, high on the slope.



Water flowing through a miniature sluice.



Lichen-crusted.


The long arms of the oak.


Approaching the big granite ledge atop the south spur of Bald Knob.



Peering south at the Campton Range. Two days earlier I was exploring the lower foreground ridge in the center of the photo.



I enjoyed a sweet hour-plus of sun and 50-degree temp on the ledge. A junco was singing and the wild cry of a Pileated Woodpecker issued from the nearby woods.



Heading down a ledgy spine.



I stopped briefly at a lower perch along the crest - another big granite slab.


A side view of this steep slab, with Cone Mountain in the distance.


Steep terrain.


Lichen hairdo.



Reaching for the sky.


Snow lingers in the shade of this linear rock formation.


2 comments:

  1. I think I know which ledge with view of Campton Range you were on when you said south Bald. When I was on that ledge I considered descending directly off the ledge. It appeared steep, but doable. I ended up taking the usual descent route following the brook drains west down to big boulder by the brook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a great ledge. It is steep but doable going down that little ridge, and trending to the left.

      Delete