Saturday, August 24, 2024

Tunnel Brook Notch: 8/23/24


After five days spent hanging around home with a bout of Covid, symptoms were diminishing and I had a negative test. A beautiful sunny day prompted me to get out for a moderate hike away from the crowds. I returned to one of my favorite haunts - Tunnel Brook Notch, with its array of beaver ponds and slides, between Mount Moosilauke and Mount Clough. Since the closure of Tunnel Brook Road after Tropical Storm Irene in 2011, the shorter approach from the south has been the preferred route to the notch.

 


Most of the easy to moderate climb to the notch leads through open hardwoods. The four brook crossings were pretty easy, typical of late summer. What was surprising was the mosquito assault along the upper half of the climb. Weren't they reading their calendars?




Beautiful walking across the broad height-of-land.






This was a leisurely day, so I spent quite a while at the shore of Mud Pond, gazing up at Moosilauke's South Peak and the slides in Slide Ravine. This is the eighth (counting from the north), largest, and southernmost of the ponds in the notch. Here I met the only person I would see all day - a mountain biker who was camping down near the base of the trail.





Made a friend with a local resident.






After a lengthy sojourn, I continued north along the trail to an open spot on the shore of Pond #6, with another view of South Peak.





Peering south down the notch.





From here I launched a short bushwhack to the lower gravelly swath of the second (counting from the south) of nine slides on the steep east face of Mount Clough. Nothing too strenuous today.




An old beaver cutting quite a distance in from the ponds.




Climbing up the gravel. Above here the slide is ledgy and extremely steep.





Looking back.






From the top of the gravel swath, I enjoyed a nice view of the massive south ridge of Moosilauke. A couple of meadows on the notch floor peeked out below. I found a comfortable seat in the shade and stayed a while. There may have been a snooze.





Zoomed.




Heading back down.






It was interesting to see five species of conifer sharing space on the slide: red pine, white pine, balsam fir, red spruce and Eastern hemlock.




Back on the trail, heading north past Pond #5.




The crossing of Tunnel Brook towards the north end of the ponds required wading, and I was too lazy to put on my Crocs. Earlier this summer this crossing was shallow and easy. There must be some new beaver activity.




From here I had a nice view north across Pond #4.




Heading back to the south, I took another long break on a sitting rock by Pond #6. What a great way to spend a sunny late summer day.





Farther along, I made a short bushwhack down to the shore of Pond #7.





At the south end of Mud Pond, the late afternoon sun illuminated Slide Ravine.





Zoomed.




Slide Brook is a constant presence on the lower part of Tunnel Brook Trail.




Evening view of the Whites from the outlook on Route 118.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment