Sunday, May 13, 2012




MOUNT PEMIGEWASSET: 5/11/12

Went for a hike up an old local standby, and threw in a bushwhack twist to see some views of the Franconia Range that are no longer available from the summit due to tree growth.

The Mount Pemigewasset Trail starts off the Franconia Notch bike path at this sign.




After going through three road underpasses, it climbs into the woods over steps recently installed by the dedicated crew from Trailwrights, who have done a lot of good erosion control  work on this trail over the last few years.



Spring was unfurling in the hardwood forest.


Fresh spring greens and a tumbling brook.



Still a few red trilliums in bloom.



Large boulder beside the trail.



Emerging on the summit ledges on a chilly, gray and breezy late morning, temp in the 40s.



Looking at the great SE spur of South Kinsman. Very wild and remote area out there. I know of one couple and one solo hiker who have bushwhacked up this long and thickly wooded ridge all the way to the summit of South Kinsman, an epic undertaking.




The long sloping profile of Mt. Wolf, the first peak I ever climbed in the Whites, back in the early 70s.


A snow-frosted Mt. Moosilauke through the col between Wolf and its spur, the "Wolf Cub."


 Looking down the Pemigewasset River valley and I-93.


 Bog Eddy, a large swampy area on the high plateau south of Mt. Pemi.



 Looking down from the prow of the Indian Head cliff.




The SE view: the Osceolas, Scar Ridge, Loon, Tecumseh.


The view of the Franconia Range from the ledges around the corner is mostly grown up, but you can still see Flume and Liberty.



As I started back down, the sun emerged and things warmed up. To extend the trip with this suddenly fine weather, I bushwhacked a ways across the eastern slope of Mt. Pemigewasset through open hardwoods and then up through conifers to an east-facing ledge with a view of the Franconia Range. Along the way I crossed this neat little open shelf in the forest.



The climb up to the ledge was fairly steep but the woods were open.



From this spot I could see the sweep of the Franconia Range from Liberty to Lafayette.



A zoom on the big three: Lafayette, Lincoln, Little Haystack.



Fine view up the Flume Brook valley to Flume and Liberty. At the bottom right of the picture you can see the open slabs on Flume Brook below The Flume.



After descending from the ledge, I whacked back across to the trail through fine open hardwoods.



Along the way I passed this big old yellow birch.

 
A trout lily with a windswept look.




Heading back down the sunlit trail.


A small cascade on one of the several small brooks that parallel the trail. Another good day in the mountains.








5 comments:

  1. Excellent!
    I think possibly the "bushwhack ledge" you visited is the same one I've been to on a couple of occasions. As your photos clearly demonstrate, it's a terrific spot to get a view of the Franconia Range. Without any exaggeration, I personally think it's the very best viewpoint of this Range!

    On my visits, I've used the same general approach as you. However, one time after visiting Mud Pond, I thought I'd try a "top-down" approach. That didn't work for me. Way too steep of a descent for my comfort-level!

    Near the bottom of this ledge/cliff (at the far northern end), I seem to recall seeing a couple of embedded rock climber anchors.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, John - I agree, this area has the best views of the Franconia Range. This particular ledge is about 0.3 mile south of the Mt. Pemi Trail and actually has a small place where you can sit.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Wolf was one of my first if not the first as well. It was with the Northfield Mount Hermon Oting Club, in 1975. The Kinsman section is still one of my favorite hikes in th Whites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Victor, Thanks for your comment! Interesting that we both did Wolf in the 70s as our intro to the Whites.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing a nice set of photos and excellent narration. I just went up there a few weeks ago - with a foot of snow on the ground. A different, yet similar experience.

    ReplyDelete