This is an account of how a geocache led to a bushwhack.
There is a geocache located on the far side of the Dry River, across from Dry River Campground in Crawford Notch. It is thought to be the second oldest geocache in New Hampshire, which is a big deal to those who like to go after "oldies." Carol had long wanted to log this cache, and the low water of this late summer was the ideal time to do it. We parked out on Rt. 302, walked along the campground road, and followed a blue-blazed trail down to the bank of the river.
We made an easy rock-hop of the low-flowing river...
...and navigated vast fields of rocky rubble deposited when the big storms of 2011, 2017 and 2023 greatly expanded the riverbed.
We found the cache in the woods above the riverbed - a white bucket that had been tipped over. We set it back in place after signing the mushy log. It was placed in February 2001, just the second year of geocaching's existence, and was last logged in August 2025.
On the way back across the open rubble fields, I was intrigued by the trailless ridge rising close by to the east. When I looked at maps later at home, I realized that this was a part of a long western spur ridge of Stairs Mountain, and located on it was an open granite ledge I had noted in the view from Mount Crawford several times over the years, most recently in April. Why not take advantage of the low water conditions, and this easy access to the river, and bushwhack up to the ledge.
The next day was a late summer beauty. I set out from the campground around 10:00 am and made my way to and across the river.
An unusual view into the ravine of Webster Brook.
Mount Webster.
Looking up at my target ridge.
Carol prepared a new waterproof log to replace the mushy one. I placed it in a fresh freezer bag and put it into the container.
This was a good spot from which to launch the bushwhack, aiming for a steep spur that comes off the main west ridge of Stairs. The grade was easy at first in open hardwoods.
As the grade increased, hemlocks began to filter in.
An interesting boulder.
The climb to the ridgecrest up this spur was relentless, ascending 1600 ft. in about a mile (elevation 1250 ft. up to 2850 ft.).
Making the grinding climb easier for the first 1000 ft. was the openness of the conifer woods, with good stable footing. Just a long, steep slope. Somewhere in here I crossed from Crawford Notch State Park into the Presidential Range-Dry River Wilderness.
Looking back down the slope.
Spruces predominant.
Around 2300 ft. or so the terrain got rougher and the woods got scrappier.
Some steep terrain up here.
Angling left to get around the steep west face of a small peak labeled "2892" on the USGS Stairs Mountain quad.
Reaching the top of the ridge at a level area, I came to ...a birch glade!
Quite a contrast with the woods on the ascent. Lovely!
I circled around up to the top of the 2892 ft. peak.
The high point of this sharp little wooded peak. It is noticeable when driving south on Rt. 302. It has only ~50 ft. of prominence, so it's not on any peakbagging list.
I poked around the rim of the peak, looking for views. If it were an open summit, it would have an excellent view. I did manage to find a window on Mount Willey, which I had climbed two days earlier. Mount Field is on the right.
A look at Mount Webster.
And even a peek at North Twin and its great eastern slide.
The ridge leading northeastward towards the ledge offered some sweet bushwhacking.
Lots of ferns, and plentiful moose sign.
The conifer sections along the ridge were mostly nice and open.
A gorgeous glade.
A fern glade, open to the sky.

The only steep pitch along the ridge, still open.
Another fern glade. Some of these were chest-high.
An inviting corridor.
As I approached the ledge at ~3070 ft., the woods got scrappier, but this didn't last long. I wasn't sure how accessible this ledge would be. It would be disappointing to find no view perch after several hours of bushwhacking.
I was a happy camper when I saw this ahead.
A beautiful, sun-washed granite slab, steep but grippy and easily accessible....
...with a wild view across the Sleeper Brook ravine to Mount Resolution, Crawford Dome and Mount Crawford. A just reward for the effort!
If it weren't Mount Resolution (named for the resolve of Nathaniel T.P. Davis facing the daunting task of building the 15-mile Davis Path in 1844-45), it might be named Flat Top Mountain.
A bulging cliff is a landmark on Crawford Dome.

Mount Crawford's sharp peak, lined with shadowed cliffs. Mount Chocorua and Bear Mountain are to its left, Mount Paugus to its right.
Up to the left, I found a fine view of the Sandwich Range, with Mount Tremont and Green's Cliff in front.
Mount Passaconaway, Mount Whiteface, the Sleepers, Mount Tripyramid, Sandwich Dome (in back), and Scaur Peak.
There was a potential additional small view ledge farther up the ridge, but at this point the woods take a decided turn for the worse. Nah. Better to relax in the sun on this spacious perch.
A side angle on the largest gravel slope on Mount Resolution. These bright tan patches give it a distinctive look from afar.
Parting shot on a perfect late summer day.
Back along the ridge through the glades. Some early fall color showing.
I tried a different route for the upper part of the descent, circling around the south side of peak 2892. It didn't work out so well as I got into some bad terrain.
Sometimes it's best to go with the devil that you know. This was worse than the upper part of my ascent route.
Big Beak Rock.
A hidden cliff looms in the forest.
I was glad to find my way back to the steep spur with the open spruces.
Back down by the river, evening sun on the south spur of Mount Webster.
Frankenstein Cliff.
The ridge where I spent my day.

No comments:
Post a Comment